DIY JOY Christmas Wooden Canvas
Do you need a little last minute Christmas decor inspiration? Here is a fun project I created for DecoArt! Their Multi-Surface Acrylic paints are my favorites! I used a variety of their paints with a wooden canvas and wooden letters to make this sturdy decor piece!
I love the wooden letters- they feel almost marquee like even though they don’t light up!
Americana® Decou-Page™Matte Decou-Page (DS106)
Americana® Multi-Surface Acrylics
Champagne (Metallic) (DA554)
Green Beret (DA521)
Soft Jade (DA545)
White Birch (DA501)
Woodland Green (DA565)
DecoArt Media® Antiquing Cream
Raw Umber (DMM151)
palette or plastic plate
1″ flat brush
#5 round brush
tissue paper (white patterned)
wooden letters (“JOY”)
wooden panel (12″ x 24″)
#3 flat brush
Using painter’s tape, tape off the Christmas tree area on the wooden panel. (This one is 18″ from top to bottom with a 5″ stump.)
2. Use a 1″ flat brush to paint inside the painter’s tape with White Birch.
3. Cut circles from the white patterned tissue paper, varying the sizes from 1″ to 4″. Brush Americana Matte Decou-Page onto the backs of the circles and adhere them onto the tree. Apply another layer of Decou-Page on top of the paper.
4. Use a #3 flat brush to create small painted lines on the tree in Mushroom. (Paint them in rows down the tree like pine needles.)
5. Remove the painter’s tape and paint the rest of the panel in Woodland Green. (Be careful not to paint over the tree; tape off the tree if needed.)
6. Apply painter’s tape in diagonal stripes over the entire canvas, placing them approximately 1″ apart.
7. Paint between the tape stripes with Green Beret, being careful not to paint the tree.
8. Remove all painter’s tape. Use a 1″ flat brush to paint the edges of the canvas in Green Beret.
9. Use a #5 round brush to apply Raw Umber Antiquing Cream around the edges of the canvas, as well as lightly around the tree outline. Use a small cloth to smear the edges into the canvas.
10. Use a #5 round brush to paint the sides of the wooden letters in Soft Jade. Let dry. Once dry, paint the letter fronts in Champagne (Metallic).
11. Using E6000 Glue, adhere the letters onto the center of the tree.
Merry Christmas everyone!